Hnefatafl Internet Championship

sqAree

Re: Hnefatafl Internet Championship

Post by sqAree » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:41 pm

I see the reasons for which you decide to drop Copenhagen Tafl in the first round but it would still prevent me from joining the tournament. Copenhagen Tafl for the win!

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:27 am

sqAree wrote:I see the reasons for which you decide to drop Copenhagen Tafl in the first round but it would still prevent me from joining the tournament. Copenhagen Tafl for the win!
Very sorry to hear that; we shouldn't interfere too much with the outcome of the tournament. Perhaps also other players have a problem with the tablut game family (king captured from 2 sides)?

Tuireann

Post by Tuireann » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:54 am

Personally I'm more inclined to join if the first round is HHTawlbwrdd or HHTablut. I feel more excluded by a championship where it's purely Copenhagen since I am not a fan of any of the strong king variants I have played.

altti

Post by altti » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:06 am

2016-07-02 23:52:28 altti: I like the proposed Tablut first round for championship.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 pm

After played a series of games, I fear that the Tablut 9x9 is too short a game for a World Championship tournament. One severe mistake and you're done with. The game should be long enough for a player to still have a chance when played well. This leaves the Tawlbwrdd 11x11 (Bell or Lewis cross).

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:38 am

I realise that increasing the number of players proceeding from the first stage will increase the number of Copenhagen games in the final stage, but I think two players should proceed from each group to the final stage.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:22 am

Xerxes wrote:I realise that increasing the number of players proceeding from the first stage will increase the number of Copenhagen games in the final stage, but I think two players should proceed from each group to the final stage.
Could be done this way:
24 players.
Round 1: 3 groups of 8 players, makes 14 games of HHTawlbwrdd to each player. Two best players from each group proceed to Valhallah.
Round 2: Valhallah 6 or 7 players, makes 10 or 12 Copenhagen games to each player. Best player is Champion 2016.
(The other 18 players also proceed, to 3 groups of each 6 players, makes 10 Copenhagen games to each player.)

Sigurd

Post by Sigurd » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:41 pm

I think either Tablut 9x9 or Tawlbwrdd 11x11 would work well to shorten the overall length of the tournament. The Tablut 9x9 is also more likely to get more players in the first round, due to it being a shorter game. Though, as Hagbard says, it may be too short.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:28 am

Hagbard wrote:Could be done this way:
If the 2015 tournament with 23 players had run by these rules, there would've been these three preliminary groups:
  • adam, sqaree, steiger, epoc, vonraider, imaxuncut, patterson
  • altti, animals, duhawk93, arevidar, sybil, mykle, dansuno, xerxes
  • docbullen, crust, mmagari, kratzer, chuck ward, aluric, gilrowen, alexystw
Six players would've proceeded to Valhallah:
adam, sqaree, altti, animals, docbullen, crust (Xerxes withdrew, Alexystw was disqualified).
And Adam would've won the tournament.

The other players would've proceeded to the Round 2 groups:
  • mmagari, duhawk93, steiger, epoc, arevidar
  • kratzer, chuck ward, sybil, vonraider, imaxuncut
  • mykle, aluric, patterson, dansuno, gilrowen
Round 1: Every player would meet 6 opponents, 12 HHtawlbwrdd games.
Round 2: Every Valhallah player would meet 5 opponents, 10 Copenhagen games. Other players would meet 4 opponents, 8 Copenhagen games.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Many Copenhagen players find Historical Hnefatafl difficult and vice versa. So as to not exclude too many skilled Copenhagen players from the final because they're having a hard time with the Hist.Hnef., it could be wise to widen the door a bit and allow 8 players to the final, 2 players from each of 4 groups.