Hagbard

Re: I've started to draw a few graphics for aagenielsen.dk

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Works!

branan

Post by branan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi all.

It's a problem for me. I don't see colors very well: I'm not color blind but I have achromatopsia problem: I barely see only black, white and red. With these new pieces, I have great difficulties to see black (blue?) pieces on the Brandubh dark green background while I saw them very well with the old design:

Image Image

Could it be possible to revert to old design with a preference on the user setting page, please?
Last edited by branan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:04 pm

I see what the problem is. There is not enough contrast between the dark pieces and the board, right?

I could change this by giving the dark pieces another color. What would work for you?

branan

Post by branan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:17 pm

I don't want to break your work just for me eyes. A preference setting to choose design would be nice. But any very contrasted color will work. Black would be the best, of course. 🙂

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:25 am

I was up early this morning. Long before my wife and son. So I decided to give my graphics another shot.
I've increased the contrast for the dark pieces and recolored their ornament. I hope this will work better now.
Furthermore I felt like the king piece deserves a bit more love. I was told that some players like the smiling king, when white wins, so I draw a design where the king can actually smile (or look shocked if captured). I hope this will make some people a giggle a little. ;)
If you don't like the new king, the old variant is still available on the gitlab repository too.

All in all I need to say that I agree with branan, when he says that the site could need some kind of option for the players to choose their own graphics style. There could be options like: Classic, High Contrast, Historical Correct, Sea Battle and so on.
As a hobby programmer myself I know how difficult it can be to add new features into an old code base, so I don't want to put any pressure on you. It's just some feedback. ;)

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:39 am

Fine king!!!

It's all inserted including the happy/shocked king. This time for test in the Simple Tafl 11x11.

A couple of unimportant detail remarks:
The dark piece might perhaps be even darker, and its ornament could be white or whitish.
The win/lose change of the king is very subtle, it's not easy to recognize the difference between the three kings.

It's true, it's not too easy to make the choice of pieces a user option.
Last edited by Hagbard on Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

branan

Post by branan » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 am

I will try to express myself on behalf of people with colour perception deficiencies.

In order to be sure that all achromatopsiatics / colour-blind people can see the pieces correctly whatever the background colour, it is necessary to make them as contrasted and as less coloured as possible (white/beige vs black/brown).

That's what I've been trying to do (with a lot of less talent than themightyglider) in the example bellow. I kept the Irish green background because I think it perfectly fit with Brandubh origins.

And as I really love the happy/shocked king, I made is face bigger so I cant see it even on my smartphone screen:

I also think all these news pieces could be a bit bigger.

Of course, this is just an exemple: I'm sure themightyglider will do it better than me. 👍😄

Masterluke

Post by Masterluke » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:22 pm

Hey yes, let's design pieces! What fun... May I join the party??
See attachments :)
Attachments
aagenielsen pieces-02.png
aagenielsen pieces-02.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
aagenielsen pieces-03.png
aagenielsen pieces-03.png (7.65 KiB) Viewed 8930 times
aagenielsen pieces_01.png
aagenielsen pieces_01.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 8930 times

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:39 pm

Fun!!

Though I use 40x40 pixels for the board squares and game pieces, which is a challenge when it comes to details.

Masterluke

Post by Masterluke » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:03 pm

I think it's doable just yet... See again attachments.