Berserk Hnefatafl

Tafl rules
Casshern

Berserk Hnefatafl

Post by Casshern » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 am

@Hagbard: I am hoping you can help me clarify 2 questions I have regarding the jumping rules in Berserk. Here are the rules:

Jumping: Besides the ordinary way of moving, the king, the knight and the commanders may also make a short orthogonal jump over an ordinary enemy piece, landing on an empty square beyond. The king and commanders do not capture by this maneuver, unless they trap an enemy piece between themselves and one of their own men. It is not allowed to jump over the king, the knight or the commanders, and the king can only jump over an ordinary enemy soldier from and to restricted squares.

The first clarification is regarding the king jumping over an ordinary enemy piece from the throne. My experience is that the black piece is captured. Can we state this in the rules. Currently it says, “unless they trap an enemy piece between themselves and one of their own men“. Maybe we can just add, “or a restricted square” to the end of that sentence.

More importantly, the rules do not state how many jumps a commander can make in one move. Nor does it say they can jump a piece then make a capture. I bring this up because of the ending to the game between jrton80/Bogd Khan. Since the Berserk rule says a piece can continue moving AFTER it makes a capture and only to make another capture. The first condition of the Berserk rule was not met in the finishing move of that game. Since the commander did not capture a piece with its jump. My interpretation of the rules is that the commander cannot move again if it jumps an enemy piece but does not make a capture with the jump. And the rule does not say how many consecutive jumps the commanders can make. I assume its just one jump per move, if the jump does not capture a piece. In theory, the a commander can jump multiple pieces per move, to move further around the board. The rules do not say the commanders are restricted to only one jump per move. Not does it say a commander can capture the king or any other piece after making a none capturing jump. I don’t mind either way, just looking for clarification.

Hagbard

Re: Berserk Hnefatafl

Post by Hagbard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 am

Casshern wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 am
Can we state this in the rules. Currently it says, “unless they trap an enemy piece between themselves and one of their own men“. Maybe we can just add, “or a restricted square” to the end of that sentence.
It's added to the rules text now. Thank you.
Casshern wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:14 am
... the ending to the game between jrton80/Bogd Khan.
I am sorry, it is a bug. After a commander jump without any capture, the commander cannot move again. The bug will be rectified soonest.

jrton80

Re: Berserk Hnefatafl

Post by jrton80 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 am

Did you ever fix that one with the King being unable to move, with no other warriors?