Member introductions

Brench

Re: Member introductions

Post by Brench » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:32 am

New here. Hello all.

Drawn into the game via Tablut, learning to really enjoy Copenhagen Hnefatafl now.

Obviously I'm still quite bad at the game but looking for resources to improve my play.

feadan

Post by feadan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello!

May I introduce myself. In the middle of the night in the empty hours of the dark I stumbled over hnefatafl searching for early harps the anglo saxon type. I know the game but had no idea that there is a still played variant the fetlar not to say the historic variants with rules reconstructed to allow to play a reasonable balanced game. I prefer the fetlar and the historic variants as brandubh and the tongue knotting tawlbrwdd. I just play tafl for about five days, against the computer so I'm a rather weak player. But at the medium level I always win, guess those programs aren't very strong. My handle is feadan my name is Jörg. Besides hnefatafl I enjoy playing the tinwhistle and the plucked psaltery. Although living at the easternmost edge of Berlin, Germany I'm an outdoor guy and by the way I agree with kratzer. I don't like it very much.

MrTopom

Post by MrTopom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 am

Hello,

I discovered this game times ago and did a version (Tablut) for Second Life (3D Metaverse).

I played with my kids and I really like this game with so simple rules.

I would like to improve my skills and maybe develop an online version to have fun with.

Arnaud

commentjouer

Post by commentjouer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 am

My name is Anthony , 23 years old from France.
I'm interested about abstract strategy game like those by alphabetical orders (Wikipedia contain an article for each game in this list) :
1.Arimaa
2.Chess (Classic , Rapid and Blitz)
3.Connect 4
4.Draughts (All versions)
5.Gomoku and derived of this game
6.Jangqi
7.Makruk
8.Morris family games
9.Shogi (All versions)
10.Tafle (All versions)
11.Tic-tac-toe
12.Xiangqi
etc...

List of Abstract strategy games : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... tegy_games

fabrice guillou

Post by fabrice guillou » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:28 am

Hej !
I am a french reenactor from France in a company called DREKAR. We came to Lejre in 2015 and met Aage !
We are playing Hnefatafl for several years but we are searching for balanced rules. The king is so difficult to stop...
Regards.

fireflo

Post by fireflo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello, I'm Kate from Oxford UK. I play as fireflo.

I found Hnefatafl because of The Last Kingdom tv series and I re-read LOTR recently too, which has made me a bit obsessed with the Anglo-Saxons.

I'm really enjoying the game. I think all the variations make it really fascinating. If there are any meet ups irl in the UK I'd love to know about them.

Hit me up for a game anytime. :D

branan

Post by branan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi, I'm David from France south coast and I play (only Brandubh) as branan.

I discovered this game very recently so I'm probably more enthousiastic than good. 😜

Nevermind, I'm ok to loose and learn. 👍

BlackRaven

Post by BlackRaven » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I am the human being known as Winston W. Johnson, I started playing on this site several months ago as BlackRaven. I first heard of the Hnefatafl family of games back in December of 2018 while googling another subject. I liked the game Brandubh so much that I started hand-crafting leather game boards with either glass, wooden round balls or deer antler game pieces. I have my games listed on eBay and Etsy. I attended my first Viking Festival in Ashville, Ohio back in April and am scheduled to attend another one in Cortland, Ohio in a couple of weeks. One of my hand-crafted leather game boards has a belt loop, when the game board is rolled up and fastened it can be carried on your belt. My neighbor and I play 6 to 8 games of Brandubh while eating out at local restaurants - it's amazing how many times we're asked what game we are playing. Win or lose, I really enjoy playing Brandubh and haven't tired of playing it yet.

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I am Marian, a hobby programmer/game developer from Germany.
I just found out about tafl games a few days ago, but fell in love immediately.
I signed up to this page in order to find other people to play and improve my skills (at the moment they are still very poor).
So far I mostly play Brandubh and Sea Battle to learn the basics. My nickname is 'themightyglider'.
I'm very happy to have found such a friendly and welcoming community.

P.S.:
I saw that some variants use custom graphics. As a semi-skilled pixel artist I possibly could contribute some art.
If there is any interest, I would open up another topic and show what I can offer.

Flying Fish

Post by Flying Fish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi everyone

I'm Lex, based in Southampton, UK. I'm interested in the origin and history of board games, specifically of the chess and hnefatafl families. I am an evolutionary biologist in daily life, and tend to see board games as evolving species, giving rise to evolutionary trees, etc.

Besides that, I also enjoy creating my own hnefatafl (and chess) sets, and have a growing collection of hnefatafl sets, some bought, some partially made, some entirely made myself. Finally, I intend to learn how to play the game in its different guises ...

I recently created a blog on my hnefatafl collection. Not much there as yet, but intend to add a new post once or twice a month. If anyone is interested, click here.

Hope to learn from this forum!
Lex