Member introductions

Draganov

Re: Member introductions

Post by Draganov » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:16 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Plamen Draganov and I live in Sofia, Bulgaria. I am 32-year-old, married with a 3-month-old baby boy. I used to work as a History teacher in a Secondary School but changed my job 2 years ago and at that moment I am working as a web developer.
I found the Hnefatafl game while I was searching on the Internet for some ancient board games. I started playing Copenhagen Hnefatafl in the beginning of September 2020 and joined the world tournament this year.
The Hnefatafl game impressed me with its dynamical and tactical gameplay. Before finding the Hnefatafl game, I played chess on amateur level and I can see how the chess games helps me to understand the principals of Tafl.
I hope to make new friends in the nice Hnefatafl community here and deepen my knowledge as well as understanding of Tafl. :)

fishcakes

Post by fishcakes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:41 am

Hello everyone! I am working on a university project based on Brandubh, and am planning on developing an adaptive AI online for people to play against. I wish to learn a lot about the game, rules, history, and strategy! I have only just started learning Brandubh so as of now I am likely a very weak player but I hope to learn from the community and eventually give something back.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:04 pm

Hello! I'm a 44 year old American who plays Tafl games with his kids. Looks like I'm pretty late to the party, but I've enjoyed following through the discussions here.

My favorite Tafl variant is:
  • 11x11 board
  • Defenders arranged in a cross
  • King moves and fights as any other piece
  • Escape to edge
  • No throne or special squares
  • Move first kill first, but pieces cannot survive between enemies
  • Defenders move first

Draganov

Post by Draganov » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:48 am

Welcome, Mark! Nice to see new players here! Feel free to join some of the tournaments and invite me or other players to some tafl battles.

Platypus

Post by Platypus » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 am

Hi,
I am Peter, who goes by Platypus here.
I am a 25yr old viking/saxon reenactor from the UK. I also play a lot of chess.
I have played hnefatafl at Viking shows for about 2/3 years now, but have become invested in the game very recently. It is not as challenging to only play people who have never played, so I ended up here.

Hnefatafl has simple rules, but the strategy is complex, which is the best kind of game. My favourite strategy got torn apart in my first game here, but it was a lot of fun. I hope to learn a lot and be a good player.

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:44 pm

Welcome - you have come to the right place if you want to meet good players, there are plenty on here ! (I'm not one of them).

Are you part of the Formby Viking re-enactors ?

Lalli The Hunter

Post by Lalli The Hunter » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Hello
I'm a new player so I think I should introduce myself. So I'm 28 year old guy from Finland. I started to play Hnefatafl first time couple of years ago when I was studying in Edinburgh. I have played irreregulary ever since but lately I started to play more actively and I'd like to participate on tournaments as well. I don't have earlier experience on strategic boardgames but I would like to learn Hnefatafl and Im also interested to learn Backgammon.

I would like to find good opponents and new friends from here who are also enjoying this game.

Ailill

Post by Ailill » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:21 pm

Hi everyone! I have just joined the site though I have played Tafl for a little while on the Android app under the name Suibhne (I recognise some names here from the app).

I am Irish though I live in London currently. I originally stumbled across the Tafl games when I went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole about Celtic and Norse mythology. It fascinates me that we know so little about how the game was originally played even though it was once apparently so culturally important.

I tend to prefer edge escape games with 11x11 or 13x13 board but I am happy to play any variant.