Planning WTF Convention 2016

Kratzer

Planning WTF Convention 2016

Post by Kratzer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:48 am

Hey guys,

here you can access the doodle: [link not working]

We would be glad if you could indicate your favourite weekends within the given space of time (May – September). Your selection is non-binding of course. This is but a first approach to what could become a World Tafl Federation Convention 2016 (perhaps taking place in Copenhagen).

Greetings,
Christoph /Kratzer

sqAree

Re: Planning WTF Convention 2016

Post by sqAree » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:05 pm

A friend of me pointed out that it might be better to let it take place in Berlin instead. Opinions?

Kratzer

Post by Kratzer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks for your proposition, sqAree! :)

Why do you or your friend think Berlin would be better? I personally would not mind going to Berlin (or Hamburg, for that matter). But I think that there are more viking-related events in Denkmark which could be combined with the "Convention". Secondly, it looks like a good compromise for most of us to travel more or less the same distance. That is at least what crust and I had in mind.

sqAree

Post by sqAree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:38 pm

I agree Copenhagen would be a good compromise regarding distance.

I think he had in mind that there are quite a few tafl players coming directly from Berlin. It's a cool town also.
And secondly, he'd be able to attend the convention himself, as he's not willing to travel, but I guess that's just a selfish point. :p

Imo our priority should be to find the place where most people would come (considering some people would indeed not be willing to travel far, while others are).

For me personally, however, both Copenhagen or any town in Germany would be fine. ^^

crust

Post by crust » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:15 pm

sqAree wrote:I agree Copenhagen would be a good compromise regarding distance.

I think he had in mind that there are quite a few tafl players coming directly from Berlin. It's a cool town also.
And secondly, he'd be able to attend the convention himself, as he's not willing to travel, but I guess that's just a selfish point. :p

Imo our priority should be to find the place where most people would come (considering some people would indeed not be willing to travel far, while others are).

For me personally, however, both Copenhagen or any town in Germany would be fine. ^^
I was angling for Copenhagen also because Aage is based near there, and also because of our "Copenhagen rules" - I wondered if it might be possible to interest the municipality of Copenhagen in what we're doing, on that basis; they might lend some support. However if the general feeling is that we should go for Berlin or Hamburg, I'm fine with that.

I don't envisage this as a massive event; I don't think we need a huge hall or anything. A small one would be good, where we could hold a small tournament, have a friendly meeting, and maybe get some members of the public to come and learn the game. Or we could take part in an existing event, preferably a viking-themed one. Just suggestions

sqAree

Post by sqAree » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Well, so far 4 people are in the doodle. I think the meeting could use some more at least even though I agree for it not being a massive event.

Copenhagen is a good location for the reasons you mentioned, no doubt. I just added a suggestion soon enough so that we can think about different possibilities.
Of course I'm also biased, would be much easier for me to "travel" to Berlin. :p

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:53 pm

Copenhagen sounds ideal for our first convention. With or without a Viking festival. Most important would be a pub friendly to board game playing.

Fraech

Post by Fraech » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:18 pm

I believe it is a great idea! For my part, I would be available in July (except maybe the last week) and I have no problem travelling to Copenhagen for the convention.

sqAree

Post by sqAree » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:39 am

I've been absent and not playing tafl anymore because I was somewhat busy. Doesn't prevent me from liking the game.
I finally managed to sign in the doodle. It's possible some dates for my availability can still change, depending on exams and other stuff.

Will the meeting take place even if only those few people come?

sqAree

Post by sqAree » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:42 am

Also, will the date be set soon?

Would help us to plan our year. :)