World Tafl Federation

crust

Re: Poll: to decide on the name for our group

Post by crust » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm

Greetings all,
Please vote in this poll, so we can agree on the name of our group. If you don't like any of them, vote "other" and perhaps you could suggest your alternative. Many thanks!
crust

Adam

Re: Poll: to decide on the name for our group.

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I do like the informal, open nature of the word 'Forum'. However one might consider 'federation' if we mean business. Like the chess federation. Just a thought.

Adam

Re: To get things started

Post by Adam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:04 pm

I meant to post a reply long ago but have not had the time until now. Sorry! However, since then Crust has got things moving again with the official international group name, and my suggestion was going to be to see what that turns out to be, and then all international branches simply take that name and add 'norway' or whatever to the name, to show clear affiliation, indeed that we are a branch of a larger group. Strength in numbers as they say.

crust

Re: World Tafl Federation

Post by crust » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 am

I like "federation" - sounds businesslike but also quite sci-fi :shock: as in "galactic federation".. though I think a federation is a group made up of smaller groups, rather than of individuals? Then again, if there will be (as we hope) branches in various countries, then federation is clearly the right word. Also Forum is a Latin word, we should really use a more Scandinavian one such as Þingvöllr or Althing..(parliament), though to put another foreign word next to "hnefatafl" is a bit too much. And I do like WTF

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:15 am

crust wrote:Also Forum is a Latin word
- Tafl is Latin... (tabula)
Last edited by Hagbard on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

crust

Post by crust » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:54 am

Bloody Romans!

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:56 pm

a group of groups is exactly what we are starting here. Lets say wtf is world tafl federation.

Here is the logo I made some time ago when we started talking about this in another thread. The idea is fairly simple, its a globe, and also a viking shield, whose markings happen to remind us of a tafl board, the boss in the shield centre being the king piece. One problem when one reduces the number of pieces so much is one loses black having double the number of men as white, which is fundamental to all tafl variants that I'm aware of. Of course one could drop the outer black players, but then you lose the distinctive 'T' formations, which also happen to be quite common on viking shield designs. Or i could add in 4 white men, so they have a square of 9 men in the centre, but that looks wrong to me too.

Thoughts please!

Kratzer

Post by Kratzer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:59 pm

It's awesome! Great work! And yet this is a symbol for a another thing, like traffic signs etc., in my opinion it shouldn't be all too correct gamewise. Very memorable. Thumbs up!

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks Roderich. Glad you like it! Glad to hear other opinions if people have them. Here is a suggestion for how it might look with typography. While working and choosing a font (News Gothic, a real classic, I thought it lends some gravitas to counter the levity of the initials, and worthy of the word 'federation' if we go for that) I was inspired to simplify the globe very slightly so that it balances better with the letter forms.

Adam

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 pm

I like the simplified globe.