A new tafl-derived game

Masterluke

A new tafl-derived game

Post by Masterluke » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 pm

Hi you all,

I conceived a new game, which lacks the typical tafl characteristics for being perfectly symmetrical and featuring armies of equal quantity, and there are 2 kings. However, it is based on tafl inasmuch it applies the same movements and 2-way captures. Since I was on it, I figured out 2 different starting positions, one with 2 groups, one with 4 groups.
It's like a reversed Tafl game, really... Instead of reaching the corner or the edge, the king(s) need to get on the center square.
I played a dozen of test games in real life using my self-made pieces and board game (see picture). It really works well and is fun to play.
We have tried to play it with a central hostile square but this turned out to be not favourable nor practical.
The optional rule regarding the berserkers (red text) is not been tested yet, as of this moment.
Please have a look at these added illustrations with the different starting positions.

Luk Martens (aka Masterluke)
Attachments
throne-tafl 4 groups.jpg
throne-tafl 4 groups.jpg (210.76 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
throne-tafl 2 groups.jpg
throne-tafl 2 groups.jpg (210.96 KiB) Viewed 9633 times
IMG_6837.JPG
IMG_6837.JPG (111.44 KiB) Viewed 9633 times

Abbas Agraphicus

Re: A new tafl-derived game

Post by Abbas Agraphicus » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:25 pm

Hi Luk, at first sight the 2-formations game looks better to me, I fear the other one could be too chaotic. In this regard, did you test both versions in real life? What results and impressions did you have?

Masterluke

Re: A new tafl-derived game

Post by Masterluke » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi Alessandro,
I played both versions. They're about equal in gameplay. It's important to be aware no one can cross the central piece (save the king), so you must get at least one or two pieces 'on the other half' on time, otherwise your opponents' king will quickly have unlimited access to the throne. In the 2 groups version, the king has 3 of his own men in front of him standing in his way. In the 4 groups version, he has only two men in front of him, but to compensate for that, he can be blocked more easily from the enemy's side group.
Anyway, like always, more test playing among experienced tafl-players will reveal the playability and fun factor of this game. Less than an hour ago I have asked Aage to include this game on this site. I don't know if it' s programmable in the first place. Just wait and see.