I've started to draw a few graphics for aagenielsen.dk

themightyglider

I've started to draw a few graphics for aagenielsen.dk

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:28 am

Like I've already told in my introduction post I'm a hobby game developer and can do some pixel art because of this.
I'd like to contribute something to this community and so I've started to draw some custom graphics for game boards and pieces.

Yesterday I've finished my first set for the variant Brandubh (of course this graphics could be used for all other tafl variants too).

I tried to keep everything simple and use not to many colors, so the art style should fit with the overall simple style of this page.
It's just intended to be a bit more beautiful then the current graphics.

I've put everything on Gitlab:
https://gitlab.com/The_Mighty_Glider/hnefataflgraphics

I'm not sure if this graphics are of any use for the site at the moment or if there are any more restrictions in the use of colors or something else. The single tiles have a size 40x40 pixels, which seems to be the format this page uses. I don't know if the graphics for the tiles of the board would be of any use, or if the tiles are drawn by the software, that provides the representation images of the current game situation.

I'd be happy to get any feedback from the community and the admins of this page and would love to see my art as a part of this project.
If you are interested I also could make some more graphics for other variants.

If there is no interest/ need for my graphics I think I will upload it to https://opengameart.org for other game developers like me to use.

Greetings from Germany

The Mighty Glider

Hagbard

Re: I've started to draw a few graphics for aagenielsen.dk

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:16 am

The thought behind the present graphic game pieces is that the archaeologically found game pieces are typically of a round shape, often in the shape of half spheres. So the graphics simulate round wooden pieces sliced out of a wooden branch.

Your graphics looks something like knuckles, I suppose.

It would be interesting, I think, to try your set in the Brandubh2 game, because this game has a rule detail which differs from other historical games (king captured by 2 blacks next to the Brandubh2 throne).

Special game pieces for the Brandubh2 could remind the player that something about this game is different.

It would be the right thing to also upload the graphics to the opengameart.org, in my opinion.

I attempted to download the pieces from gitlab.com, but did not find the way.
Last edited by Hagbard on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:37 am

Thank you for the fast feedback!
The thought behind the present graphic game pieces is that the archaeologically found game pieces are typically of a round shape, often in the shape of half globes. So the graphics simulate round wooden pieces sliced out of a wooden branch.

Your graphics looks something like knuckles, I suppose.

It would be interesting, I think, to try your set in the Brandubh2 game, because this game has a rule detail which differs from other historical games (king captured by 2 blacks next to the Brandubh2 throne)
To be honest, I didn't think much about historical correctness when I draw this pieces. I just made them like I would make them real life if I was crafting a board.
I attempted to download the pieces from gitlab.com, but did not find the way.
Gitlab is a code sharing platform in the first place, so the option to just download stuff is a bit hidden.
If you open the link from my first post you should be able to see a blue button called 'Clone' somewhere. On the left side next to it there is another button that lets you download the repository as a zip file.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:05 am

I tried to insert the pieces and got this. As if the background of pieces is not transparent?
Attachments
braetstilling2gif.png
braetstilling2gif.png (2.65 KiB) Viewed 22022 times

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:24 am

That's strange.

I've checked this again but the background of the png files is transparent.

I made them using GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). This tool offers various options for exporting png files. Maybe some of this options causes this problem.
Maybe this is because transparent pixels have still a color value?

I changed this for the white pieces now and updated the repository. Please can you download it and try again. if the white pieces will work after that I'll change it for the rest too.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:40 am

Still the same.

I used GIMP for game pieces myself, but that's a long time ago.

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 am

Could you send me one of the original files the page's render program uses?
Maybe I can figure out that way whats different.

EDIT

I opened the image you posted above and loaded it in an image viewer tool.

The background of my graphics doesn't turn withe but the transparent effect kinda overrides the green of the tiles beneath them. Because of this you see the white background color of the page where they are.

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I've got your email and took a look at the original graphic. The most important difference seems to be the original using indexed colors while my version uses RGB colors. Maybe this could cause the bug.
I set the white piece's graphic to indexed mode and updated the git repository. Please let me know if this makes any difference.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Now the white pieces work!
Attachments
braetstilling2gif.png
braetstilling2gif.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 22001 times

themightyglider

Post by themightyglider » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:55 pm

I have updated the rest of the graphics too. Now it should work. :D

Sorry for causing you extra work.