Medieval Market

Hagbard

Medieval Market

Post by Hagbard » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:44 pm

I have a problem.
In a month I take part in a Medieval Market. It's a very authentic event, we're perhaps about 200 participants wearing authentic medieval clothes and to that about 10,000 guests.
We are 7 people who get a corner for presenting Medieval board games, and I bring the Hnefatafl.
Board games are just a small corner of the market, people will be drifting around for a lot of different adventures, and probably noone knows about these games beforehand.

I have some considerations about how to make that work.

Rules.
A group colleague suggested that the 7x7 board for Hnefatafl would be best because of the very short games. I've the recent days tried Brandubh 7x7 (Walker) and Fidchell weak-king (Simple Tafl 7x7). Perhaps difficult games for such an event, and I find them difficult myself.

Then there's the 9x9 board. Games just a bit longer and more play.

The 11x11 board would be unnecessary, even longer games and no advantage over the 9x9 for this purpose.

So I focus on the Saami Tablut 9x9. But for use here a simplified version:
Throne abandoned, and with that all the special rules around the throne.
This helps black, therefore white begins.
One could call this variant Simple Tafl-w 9x9.

Game sets.
I imagine the game sets to be very primitive. We are all dressed as peasants, and it's natural that our game sets are rough and primitive.
The board could be a primitive square piece of wood. With black hand drawn lines, as if drawn with black ink.
Game pieces could be slices of a broomstick. Or perhaps some sort of glass pieces can be found.
(Small stones from the beach for game pieces are a bit annoying, in my experience.)

Rules sheet.
I've searched for a Medieval style font without luck.
Should be printed on some primitive type of paper, perhaps gray.

I imagine that it would be a good idea to bring perhaps ten game sets.

At the Fornebei Herfolk's Viking Festival in England, Tim Millar one year offered a small prize to anyone who could beat him in Hnefatafl (the prize said "I've beaten the World Champion" ... As far as I remember, Millar kept all his prizes).
I suggested my group, that any guest who could beat me in this game could get a small ticket for something in the nearest Medieval food booth, until we run out of money ...

Masterluke

Re: Medieval Market

Post by Masterluke » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 pm

I think if you want the people to learn Hnefatafl (or simple Tafl), you'd let the blacks begin, for that's the standard rule in all variants (except recent experiments here at aagenielsen.dk). It's not that important the game is balanced, in the short time people get to know the game. The abandon of the throne is a good idea, though, to simplify things a bit. I'd consider the throne an 'optional' rule, just like corner-escape, commanders or variegated men ;)

Regarding the rules sheet: I'd write it down manually on an old type of paper. Makes it more authentic. It's not that much text, is it? Especially if you leave out the throne rules?
I have made nine game sets myself, either 3D-printed or cast-and-mold technique. I have similar plans to introduce the game here in Belgium. I guess your medieval market is in your country (Denmark)?

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:51 pm

The market is in an old Danish town founded in Viking Age.
I have considered to hand write the rules, they would be rather short.
Rumour says that the Queen's sister will take part in one event there.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:07 am

Thoughts about the Ringsted Medieval Festival this summer.

Yesterday we attended the first information meeting about the festival, which is a big event. It's organised every second year, and now it's time again.

For medieval board games we will be 7 people. Each of the 7 has his own speciality and brings his own games.

The board game area.
I've proposed that a large sign on a tripod be manufactured saying "Board Games" in large letters.
And it's been proposed that the two game tents be opened up so that they're really just half roofs.

(Last time, the tent appeared more closed, and the "Board Games" sign was smaller and lay on the table.
It appeared to have the effect that many were reluctant to come have a try. The tent looked a bit like a private party.)

The game.
For Hnefatafl, this time, I would for larger children and adults let the Saami Tablut 9x9 be the main variant.
Except when small children are involved, then the simpler Market Hnefatafl 9x9.

When we meet new players on this site, then they often tell that they first met the Hnefatafl game on a Viking market. And an interest was awakened.

When we present the Hnefatafl game in Ringsted, it must be presented as a game challenging enough to larger children and adults, so that this interest is awakened.
Therefore to the right guests, better the real Saami Tablut with a throne and all the rules, than the too simple Market Hnefatafl.

The game pieces.
The well known game pieces moulded as Vikings are very attention provoking more than glass pearls and stones.
I'll bring them this year.

Trial run.
I've proposed that we 7 people meet for a trial run once, in good time before the market.
To check how everything is presented, and to learn all the games other than our own.

(Last time, if everybody else were away for lunch and Elisabeth and I were left on duty, it happened that people came to try some or other game, and I had to answer that the expert for this game is not here right now. That's not good enough - )

Perhaps others have experience with board games at markets?