Tablut

Tafl strategy
Casshern

Tablut

Post by Casshern » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 am

Hello all, thank you for your interest in learning more about Tablut. In this discussion I am going to talk about the strategies I use or have come across for Tablut. And hopefully come to a consensus about naming moves. If anyone has any knowledge of previous discussions, please feel free to share.

First off, read the rules. If you have any questions or complaints about the rules and would like to open a discussion, please do so in the “Rules” section of the forum. Since the board and piece setups are usually symmetrical in most Tafl variants, I will be discussing opening moves for black in the lower left quadrant. Also, I refer to the pieces as black and white, not as attackers and defenders.

https://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~storer/Jim ... tBoard.jpg

Lets begin!

There are only two acceptable openings for black in Tablut, e2-c2 or d1-d2. I prefer e2-d2. One other possible opening might be d1-c1, but I have rarely seen this move played and it will immediately the answer by d5-d8. Forcing black to move f9-f8, e8-g8 is not an option in my opinion because whites attack will most likely continue on the right side of the board. So, by moving e8-g8, black is moving away from whites attack, leaving black with less pieces to defend.

After black opens play, white has 6 possible moves:
1. d4
2. c4/d3
3. b4/d2
4. c3
5. b3/c2
6. a3/ c1

Because of the game’s symmetry, some of these squares can be reached by either the pieces on c5/d5 or e2/e4, like d4 or c3. Obviously, it matters which piece you use to reach these squares but the point is to understand that there are only 6 different moves possible. Which piece you move and where you move it on the board will be affect the games outcome, but they are all the same, symmetrically.

Can we make 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=D, 5=E, and 6=F? I am not sure if anyone has limited/labeled white’s opening to 6 moves, but that is all there is.

http://tafl.cyningstan.com/data-image/72

And here is my crutch, I dont know how to copy and paste images. Or if it is even legal.

Steiger

Re: Tablut

Post by Steiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 am

At first, sorry for my english :roll:
About simmetry, I think that not all beginners understand that (for example): e2-c2 is = e2-g2; b5-b7; b5-b3; e8-g8; e8-c8; h5-h3; h5-h7. Unlike chess and checkers, in Hnefatafl it is necessary to navigate in four directions plus the wrong side and, based on this, is it worth denoting all these nuances or, by default, accept that everyone understands this anyway?
Hope I made myself clear. :|

Casshern

Post by Casshern » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 am

White’s strategy:

I think white must be very mindful of when and where he moves the outer pawns: c5, e7, g5, and e3. For black to create a cirlce around the king and his men, I think the most efficient/effective plan is e2-c2, d1-d2, c2-c3, and finally a4-b4. Repeat on all four sides and black wins. Also, white should try to avoid allowing black to get to a strong position like e2-c2 followed by d1-d3. This allows blacks to half close two files with two pawns from the same group. It is a very strong position for black. So try to avoid allowing black to get to those positions, as white. Lastly, if black can get to a position like d1-d3 and a4-c4, it will probably end up as a black victory. As white is allowing black to connect two sets/groups of pawns with only 2 moves instead of 4.

I prefer opening white to an A square. Usually, move 1: e2-c2, e4-f4. The idea here is to protect the pawn on f5 for an attack on e8, f5-f8. If black allows this attack then white should be in a pretty good position to open up an attack on that side of the board.

With that in mind, my Tablut strategy has developed into, move 1: e2-c2, e4-f4, move 2: e8-g8, f5-f6, move 3: b5-b7. At this point, black has half closed 3 files with 3 of the 4 second row pawns. Only one more and black will have every file at least half closed. A very strong position for black. Still some work to do, but it will be harder for the king to get through once each second row pawn is opened up. So, white moves to h3, e3-h3, before black can move h5-h3. Move 4: d1-d3, g1-g5. White allows black to get e2 + d3, in order to get a strong position in the lower right quadrant. The group of black pawns on the right side of the board is in active and mostly blocked by whites positioning.

After,
Move 1: e2-c2, e4-f4
Move 2: e8-g8, f5-f6
Move 3: b5-b7, e3-h3
Move 4: d1-d3, g5-g1
White has set up a path to victory for the king with e5-g5 followed by g5-g2. Then, g1-h1 sets up f4-f1xg1 and black is victorious.

My preference for move 5, as black, is i4-h4. But there are some other options to discuss, when we discuss black strategy.

Casshern

Post by Casshern » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 am

@Steiger: Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting ahead of myself. I wanted to get straight into discussing strategy, that I failed to clarify or define much of the terms that I use.

When I talk about white moving to the A square = d4, there are 2 options for white, e4-d4 or d5-d4. Same with the D square = c3, e3-c3 or c5-c3. These are in essence the same opening moves. So, there are four A squares (d4, d6, f6, f4) and four D squares (c3, c7, g7, g3). Likewise, there are eight B squares (d3, c4, c6, d7, f7, g6, g4, f3). If you were to take the board and rotate it, all the D squares would be in the same positions. Same goes for the other squares and pieces. This is the symmetry of the game.

What makes a difference in gameplay, is which pawns we choose to go the which B square. For example, lets assume black opens e2-c2. White can move to d3 with d5-d3 or e3-d3. Or white can move to c4 with c5-c4 or e4-c4. These are 4 different moves to get to essentially the same “positioning” on the board. Now lets break down each move.
1. d5-d3 allows black to capture c5 with d9-d5xc5. This could be a gambit, but I will discuss gambits later. For now, we will say, it might not be a good move because white losses a pawn.
2. e4-c4 doesn’t have the danger of losing a pawn, though. Since black moved off e2. e4-c4 might be “safer,” but probably not very good, since black is already on c2 and is trying to get to b7, g8, and h3. e4-c4 wont block any of these. But, e4-g4 might, if black doesn’t move e8-g8 right away, then white can move g5-g8. And white could have an effective attack developing on the right side of the board.
3. e3-d3 is setting up an attack on e8 with d5-d8. But, black is trying to move e8-g8, so I don't see the point of playing into blacks hands with this move.
4. c5-c4 is setting up an attack on h5 with e4-h4. But, black simply has to move h5-h3 and that plan is no good. Then eventually, black can move a6-c6 without the threat of being captured. That’s why I prefer to move to an A square because it lets you keep your options open if black continues to move ahead of white’s attack.

Strategically speaking, where ever black moves, I usually try to plan an attack for the area black is moving away from. For example, black opens e2-c2, white might try to set up an attack on the right side of the board. Upper or lower quadrant? Either would be fine. Both would be preferred.

White’s goal is to continue to “position” its pawns to create a path for the king to get to the edge. Of course, black will be trying to block the king, but its a matter of trying to think and get ahead of black’s blockade.

Steiger

Post by Steiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:18 am

Your experience, Mario, is very important for the development of tafl, just keep that in mind my friend! I am entirely with you in this matter!

Steiger

Post by Steiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 am

As for the terminology - I suggest dividing the field into four parts for better orientation: upper left; upper right; lower left and lower right and introduce the concept of perimeters from the edge of the board to the center: 1, 2, 3, 4, which, respectively, consist of verticals and horizontals: 1 (a-1-9-i); 2 (b-8-h-2); 3 (c-7-g-3) and 4 (d-6-f-4).

Abbas Agraphicus

Post by Abbas Agraphicus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 am

@Casshern: First of all I think this is a great idea, especially since it comes from a great champion.
I think that when it comes to strategy moves, it's very important to let others visualize the things you are explaining.
Hence, drawing some simple schemes with a grid, pawns and arrows (for example) to illustrate the strategies would be immensely helpful, especially to unexperienced players.
It is just a suggestion, let me know your thoughts about it.

Keep up with this, I'm looking forward to learn more about this variant that I never got much into.

Steiger

Post by Steiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:43 pm

Casshern wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 am
I prefer e2-d2.
You mean e2-c2?

Steiger

Post by Steiger » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:04 pm

Casshern wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 am
After black opens play, white has 6 possible moves:
1. d4
2. c4/d3
3. b4/d2
4. c3
5. b3/c2
6. a3/ c1
Oh, it's hard!
1. d4 (you mean d5-d4 or e4-d4? Or both?)
2. c4/d3 (c4 is answer to black's first move e2-c2 and d3 is answer to black's first move d1-d2? And c4 is e4-c4 or c5-c4?) :oops:
Need diagrams

Abbas Agraphicus

Post by Abbas Agraphicus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:28 pm

Steiger wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:04 pm
Oh, it's hard!
1. d4 (you mean d5-d4 or e4-d4? Or both?)
2. c4/d3 (c4 is answer to black's first move e2-c2 and d3 is answer to black's first move d1-d2? And c4 is e4-c4 or c5-c4?) :oops:
Need diagrams
Yeah, that's what I meant with my post :)