New proposal variant for hnefatafl

Tafl rules
Hagbard

Re: New proposal variant for hnefatafl

Post by Hagbard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:01 pm

So Tablut T diamond 11x11, but with corner escape, and shieldwall capture added. Plus force maneuver and minus surrounding. ?

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:08 pm

Yeah I also might say that the king can be captured by the corners as well. Unless if you think all this is too much weakness for the king?

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:33 pm

HotFudge wrote:the king can be captured by the corners as well. Unless if you think all this is too much weakness for the king?
No, a capture-from-two-sides king is what we call a "weak king", which is the historical type king, and he is captured next to a corner by one enemy.

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm

*thumbs up* :D

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:04 am

Has anyone tested this?

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi, I have played some games of this, but have some questions on the ‘rules’.
1) At what point is the force mechanic (‘FM’) played ? ie
a. Is it used at the end of a turn (eg, move a piece to create an advantage, and then play the FM as part of that turn), or,
b. The FM is the whole turn and a ‘normal’ move is not played as well.
2) Can more than one FM be played in a single turn ? Some FMs result in further FM opportunities.
3) Can the same FM be employed in subsequent turns If the pushed player does not strengthen his line to equalise the forces ?
4) Do all the pushing pieces have to move if the advantage is greater than 1 ? (eg 3 white pieces lined up against 1 black – can the white piece furthest away from the black be left in situ and just the two nearest pieces moved ?)
5) What happens if there is an FM position at the edge of the board – does the outnumbered side get one piece pushed off or is the FM unable to be played ?
6) Can the King take part in an FM push ?
7) Can the King be pushed as part of an FM ?

In the games I played, we assumed that the FM could be played as the whole turn, or at the end of the turn after a move which set it up; multiple FMs could be used in one turn; FMs could be repeated if the line was not strengthened; all the pushing pieces had to move; could not push a piece off the board; King could push and be pushed. In the few games we played we found that White had a significant advantage.

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 am

Hi! These are just some ideas I wanted to test so there is nothing set in stone but to answer your questions..
1. The FM is the whole turn. There are no normal moves before or after FM
2. One FM per turn
3. Yes
4. Not all pushing units have to move. Just the required amount.
5. The FM is unable to be played.
6. Yes
7. Yes

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:13 am

I'm not surprised white had a huge advantage in your few games.. using the FM multiple times in one move in addition with a normal move definitely over powers the forcing units back maneuver.. especially when white starts out the game in a good FM position. Try using it with how I answered your questions.

Xerxes

Post by Xerxes » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:26 am

Have played a few games of this, and it works quite well. It gives both players more options, and more to think about. It makes edge forts more difficult to make, giving Black an advantage, so perhaps take out both Shieldwall Capture and Edge Forts to equalise that.

It would need a lot more games against different level players to really get a feel for it - not sure how we can achieve that !

HotFudge

Post by HotFudge » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 am

I'm very glad you think so! It worked out very well for my games too. It added another layer of strategy and options that I enjoyed very much. i hope others try this out so we can get more minds around this variant. Thanks Xerxes for testing this out!