Brandubh 7x7

Tafl rules
branan

Re: Brandubh 7x7

Post by branan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:03 pm

Colophonius wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:37 pm
After having played a match of ten games against Draganov, where Black won 9 times out of 10, we began to speculate, if Walker's rules could favor Black too strongly, given, that the player is experienced enough. That leaves the question, whether the rules for Brandubh 2 were actually more balanced than we thought with the majority of players just not being experienced enough, or whether the Brandubh 2-rules should be changed a little more in Walker's direction - not too much of course - for example by capturing the king on the throne with 2 pieces instead of 4.
I think that's a good idea to try: the king might be overly protected on his throne with Brandubh 2 rules.

According to me, throne friendly rule puts defenders at too great a disadvantage because they are only 5: without the throne to help them it takes almost half your forces to capture an opponent (compared with only 25% for the attackers).
Colophonius wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:37 pm
What do you think about re-introducing Brandubh 2 in general (to give the more experienced players the opportunity to further test the balance) and capturing the king on his throne with just two attackers also in this variant in particular?
It should be Brandubh 3, then ;) (or maybe Brandubh 4?). Anyway, I'm ready to test this.

branan

Post by branan » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:40 pm

Here is a PDF of the proposed test rules:
brandubh_wk_rules_en.zip
(63.79 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Colophonius

Post by Colophonius » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:20 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think that the Brandubh 2 rules are fine. Sure, the king is well protected on the throne, but that's not winning him the game. It's good though that he protects the white pieces from being captured against the throne, so that they can try to clear his path or to break a gap for him.
However, black doesn't have to capture the king on the throne; black can simply react to white's plan. So the king captured by four white pieces on the throne is okay for me.
And the friendly throne of Walker's Brandubh is interesting, but it does feel a little strange to me, I'm not sure, but is there another tafl variant where the empty throne is friendly? Whose advantage is that actually?