Tawlbwrdd 11x11

Tafl rules
Hagbard

Re: Tawlbwrdd 11x11

Post by Hagbard » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Various sources have proposed initial orderings for tawlbwrdd 11x11 (no throne) which have been combinations of

Defenders' ordering:
Diamond or
cross.

Attackers' ordering:

T-ordering

Code: Select all

. . b . .
b b b b b
Bell

. b .
b . b
b b b
Lewis

b b b
b b b
These formations can be combined in 5 ways, and the measured game balances were:
Tawlbwrdd T diamond, game balance -1.73
Tawlbwrdd T cross, game balance -1.61
Tawlbwrdd Bell diamond, game balance -1.83
Tawlbwrdd Lewis diamond, game balance +1.51
Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross, game balance -1.06

Only one setup clearly differs from the rest by being well balanced: Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross!
Last edited by Hagbard on Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:28 am

Never the less, this Damain Walker illustration from a historical source does indeed indicate a throne square also for Tawlbwrdd:
http://tafl.cyningstan.com/page/146/literary-sources

cyningstan

Post by cyningstan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:58 am

Hagbard wrote:Never the less, this Damain Walker illustration from a historical source does indeed indicate a throne square also for Tawlbwrdd:
http://tafl.cyningstan.com/page/146/literary-sources
That was taken from Lewis's 1940 article. In the original article it appears to be a version tidied up for print, rather than a facsimile of the original drawing. Until the National Library of Wales decides to digitise the Peniarth manuscript and put it on line, or one of us can make the trip to Aberystwyth, the exact drawing will have to remain a mystery. Bell shows the board without a central square marking, and the original source doesn't mention any special properties of the square.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Summary on the Welsh Tawlbwrdd:
http://aagenielsen.dk/tawlbwrdd_summary.php

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sun May 15, 2016 11:48 am

Ten starting setups for tawlbwrdd 11x11 was tournament tested, and the Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11 was found to be the distinctly only well balanced setup with no throne, balance -1.06 ( http://aagenielsen.dk/tawlbwrdd_summary.php ).

However, the tests showed that there exist also two balanced setups with a throne:
Tablut Lewis cross 11x11, balance -1.14
Tablut Bell 11x11, balance +1.04

Damian Walker wrote an article about Tawlbwrdd here:
http://tafl.cyningstan.com/post/640/hne ... y-of-wales

and directs the reader further on to the F.R.Lewis article from 1941, which can be read on the internet here:
[link virker ikke]

On page 193, F.R.Lewis writes about the Peniarth manuscript from 1587:
The first part, occupying 92 pages, was written by Robert ip Ifan during the month of May, 1587. On page 4, the author fortunately decided to insert a very rough sketch of the board used in tawlbwrdd, from which the diagram below has been copied
- board diagram -

Robert ip Ifan is the original source of information about the Welsh tawlbwrdd, and through F.R.Lewis we learn that ip Ifan describes the board as 11x11 with the only distinguished square being a throne in the center.

So it appears that the Welsh Tawlbwrdd 11x11 indeed has a throne, the same as we know that has the Saami Tablut 9x9.

Now, returning to our ten test tournaments, we found that only two 11x11 setups with a throne are well balanced:

Tablut Lewis cross 11x11:
Tablut Bell 11x11:

Given the choice, the Tablut Lewis cross does appear somewhat "un-taflic" with its four double lines uncovered by the attackers. Usually lines uncovered by the attackers are single lines.

In the light of this, I suggest that the historical Welsh Tawlbwrdd setup is the Tablut Bell 11x11:

(P.S. At the same time we also learn from the ip Ifan diagram that there exist no such thing as "attackers' base camps" as used in the Foteviken tafl).

Test tournament:
http://aagenielsen.dk/turnering2015_tawlbwrdd.php
Last edited by Hagbard on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Two more test tournaments of the two Tawlbwrdd setups were done to find a best choice for the World Tafl Federation Championship Tournament 2016 round 1.
Both setups were found to work all right, the game balances being -1.13 and -1.17, and both setups gave many good games.
I went through all the games using the Replay function, and this is my opinion:

Hist. Hnef. Lewis cross 11x11

This attackers' setup fits well with the ap Ifan text "... twenty-four men seek to capture him [the king]. These are placed, six in the centre of each side of the board and in the six central positions."

Gathering all attackers in edge center blocks and thus leaving eight open lines and maximum empty space in the corners, could make one believe that the defenders can slip through all this open space easily.

The test games showed, however, that it's very hard for the defenders (white) to escape. I had a number of games against high rated players, and my experience was that for the defenders the game is very tight and slightly random, meaning that you might be lucky enough to early catch the opponent in a position where his moves can be forced all the rest of the game until white victory, and if you do just one white move differently it all falls apart and white loses.

White's toolbox lacks the Millar Gambit with this setup (attacking f3 ao.), and one player mentioned that he misses it.

Hist. Hnef. Bell 11x11

This defenders' setup fits well with the ap Ifan text "... a king in the centre and twelve men in the places next to him ...".

This setup allows for the Millar Gambit, and going through the games one finds a lot of interesting and varied game play. This is a game which can take many directions.

The two setups could do with further testing, but for now it seems that the Bell setup would be the best choice for the Championship round 1.

Other players' comments from the small forum:
2016-07-03 11:00:22 Tuireann: I think Tawlbwrdd 1 [Bell] creates more interesting games [...] and I have made some pretty unbelievable victories from behind on Tawlbwrdd 2 [Lewis cross] as black.

2016-07-05 18:51:14 Sigurd: Between Tawlbwrdd Bell & Lewis Cross it's close, but I'll go with Bell at this point. More games of each are needed though. I'm hoping they both hold up.

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Thu May 25, 2017 1:57 am

May 22nd, Jarl Herjan on Facebook, photo of a fine tawlbwrdd board 11x11 with throne and no corners, and diamond-Bell setup, just as we recommend it here.
But also with a dicebox and six dice, and the comment
This is my new Tawlbwrdd (Welsh Tafl) which I had designed. In addition I have come up with a set of rules for Tawlbwrdd that is in keeeping with its literal translation meaning "Throw Board" which suggests the possible use of dice in the game. What I have come up with following my research and playing various versions of Tawlbwrdd is a game that is fun and easy to play with an element of luck and a gamble that would have appealed to Vikings and the Welsh in the early medieval world.
"Throw Board" is an old mistranslation of the word "Tawlbwrdd", Tawlbwrdd simply being the wellknown Scandinavian word Tavlbord = Game Board, in my opinion.

But in any case Herjan has invented an interesting tawlbwrdd variant. How do one play this game?

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:20 am

Dimetr wrote in the small forum:
You know Robert ap Ifan’s manuscript, about Tawlbwrdd (Peniarth Manuscript 158).

Linnaeus Diary was published long time ago
But it’s still not possible to see Robert ap Ifan’s manuscript
Maybe you will write to The Nation­al Library of Wales?
Could they send the scan?
This email, from their website:
enquiry(at)llgc.org.uk

I saw some fragments of Tawlbwrdd, at Alessandro Arzani website https://abbasagraphicus.wordpress.com/
But he wrote, that he cannot reproduce the entire image, because the Library of Wales, didn’t give a permission to do it
Thank you for bringing up the extremely useful article by Alessandro Arzani on Tawlbwrdd.

Arzani shows both the full text, the translation, and the diagram, so it should all be there.

The text is clearly translated by a professional (Google translate results in total garbage).
When the description of the game setup is understood broadly, then the defenders are in the middle and the attackers around the middle of the four sides.
Such a description covers both the setups "Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11" and "Tawlbwrdd Bell diamond 11x11".

There are a couple of mysterious details in the Welsh text about the rules.

Dimetr

Post by Dimetr » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:38 pm

Hello my friends!
This is some my thoughts about Tawlbwrdd variants.

There are two reconstruction of Robert up Ifan manuscript.
Bell reconstruction, which we know as Welsh Tawlbwrdd 11*11; and Lewis reconstruction, which we know as Simple Tafl (without Throane) or - Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11*11 (with Throane).
Now we play Bell reconstruction
at the World Championship.
But I'm sure, it will be better to play Lewis reconstruction, because it is more interesting and various.

Now we trying to check game balance again.
And we checking Tawlbwrdd variants with White's first move.

Last tournament of Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross - W 11x11 (white first move, and with throane) was finished with 6 white won and 6 black won - it's good balance.

Welsh Tawlbwrdd-w (Bell reconstruction) - was finished also with 3/3.
But, It was not enough games for conclusions.
Besides - I played bad, and Alex - very strong (he won all games by both sides). I think, in some "conditional" game without mistakes, black in Bell reconstruction, will be much better.

But the problem is not only in the balance.
The game should be interesting.
Tawlbwrdd Bell, maybe not bad, but it's not interesting.
Reason of that:
Bell reconstruction - it's like a hard puzzle.
The battle takes place in a very limited space. It's like playing long and closed position in chess - too difficult, and too boring.
Besides, opening in Bell reconstruction is too standardized.
In the all Tafl variants, blacks vikings x2 more than whites, and
It is clear, that the balance depends on King's activity (which costs half of the army when he has a space on the desk, and costs nothing when he doesn't).
In Bell reconstruction -white must do the almost impossible things, to open space for the king, it's not sow easy.
I managed to won Casshern in Tawlbwrdd Bell by white, last Word championship, but I'm realised what I'm still don't know how to play Tawlbwrdd Bell, and maybe nobody know, except
Casshern, Draganov, and Alex Hnefatafl.
As for Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11 (with throne) -I think it's the best and most interesting version of historical Tafl.
The starting position makes the game very variable, players can choose from many variations.
White has a lot of space for development, but Black also has many opportunities for a good game.
I think, white need a throne in the Lewis version, necessarily.
look at the game Simple Tafl -Casshern vs Потапыч last year; or Draganov vs Потапыч (Simple Tafl - W
(white first move - which has just ended).
Потапыч with black, managed to captured the king in the center (against the strongest players), because there was no throne.
So - the throne is needed.
Besides, Throane is historical, and corresponds to the Robert up Ifan manuscript.
As for first move - I think, maybe, it does not so matter, black or white will have first move in Lewis reconstruction.

So, It will be great, to include a Lewis cross in the World championship (with Throne)
Maybe - instead of Tawlbwrdd Bell, or
Maybe, even instead of Tablut -W 9*9.
Although I love Tablut 9*9-w, most of all, but I understand, that soon we will calculate all variants, and make white's victory very rare, even with white's first move.
I'm afraid, it seems that now we have only one opening in Tablut-w 9*9 for serious play:
F5-F6
B5-B7
E5-F5
(Look Casshern vs Draganov and Draganov vs Casshern - in the Word championship.
Also - Me against Draganov, and Alex against Draganov (last Tablut-w tournament recently)

Hagbard

Post by Hagbard » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:16 am

Good points.

The game balances of Tawlbwrdd variants are at the moment measured to

Variant              no. of games  balance

Welsh Tawlbwrdd 11x11        1753  -1.21
Welsh Tawlbwrdd-w 11x11       184  +1.13

Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11   319  -1.06
Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross-w 11x11  16  -1.67 *)

Simple Tafl 11x11            1375  -1.18
Simple Tafl-w 11x11            14  -1.20
*) too few games; expected balance > -1.06

Besides the balances, there's also the question of playability, which you describe in details.

We've found that Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11 is well enough balanced. By balance it's as good as Welsh Tawlbwrdd-w 11x11.

In your Moscow game clubs you've really picked up the Historical Hnefatafls, so I would suggest that we could go for
First round: Saami Tablut-w 9x9
Next rounds: Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross 11x11

(Tawlbwrdd Lewis cross-w 11x11 might be even better, but till now there's too little experience with this one, only 16 games.)